Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Amazon’s new Alexa+ powered feature can generate podcast episodes

May 18, 2026

2 Utah Women Kevin O’Leary Called Out Clap Back With a Mocking Video

May 18, 2026

South Korea’s LetinAR is building optics behind AI glasses

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » Why thousands of NCAA athletes might wait over a year for share of $2.8 billion settlement
Education

Why thousands of NCAA athletes might wait over a year for share of $2.8 billion settlement

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIAJune 13, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


The attorney who negotiated the $2.8 billion legal settlement for the NCAA said Friday that thousands of former athletes due to receive damages could have to wait months or maybe more than a year to get paid while appeals play out.

Rakesh Kilaru, who served as the NCAA’s lead counsel for the House settlement that was approved last week, told The Associated Press an appeal on Title IX grounds filed this week will hold up payments due to around 390,000 athletes who signed on to the class-action settlement.

He said he has seen appeals take up to 18 months in the California-based federal court where this case is playing out, though that isn’t necessarily what he expects.

“I will say that we, and I’m sure the plaintiffs, are going to push,” Kilaru said.

A schedule filed this week calls for briefs related to the appeal to be filed by Oct. 3. Kilaru doesn’t expect anyone on the defendant or plaintiff side to file for extensions in the case “because every day the appeal goes on is a day damages don’t go to the student-athletes.”

He said while the appeal is ongoing, the NCAA will pay the money into a fund that will be ready to go when needed.

The other critical parts of the settlement — the part that allows each school to share up to $20.5 million in revenue with current players and set up an enforcement arm to regulate it — are in effect regardless of appeals.

“I think everyone thought it was important and good for this new structure to start working because it does have a lot of benefits for students,” Kilaru said. “But it’s very common for damages to be delayed in this way for the simple reason that you don’t want to make payments to people that you can’t recover” if the appeal is successful.

A group of eight female athletes filed the appeal. Their attorney, Ashlyn Hare, said they supported settlement of the case “but not an inaccurate one that violates federal law.”

“The calculation of past damages is based on an error that ignores Title IX and deprives female athletes of $1.1 billion,” Hare said.

Kilaru agreed with plaintiff attorneys who have argued that Title IX violations are outside the scope of the lawsuit.

Other objections to the settlement came from athletes who said they were damaged by roster limits set by the terms. One attorney representing a group of those objectors, Steven Molo, said they were reviewing Wilken’s decision and exploring options.

___

AP college sports: https://apnews.com/hub/college-sports



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

Hungary and Ukraine to hold talks on ethnic Hungarian minority rights

May 18, 2026

Trial to start for ex-assistant principal accused of ignoring warnings that student had gun

May 18, 2026

Michigan student will be 1st woman to represent US in world welding competition

May 17, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Hungary and Ukraine to hold talks on ethnic Hungarian minority rights

May 18, 2026

Trial to start for ex-assistant principal accused of ignoring warnings that student had gun

May 18, 2026

Michigan student will be 1st woman to represent US in world welding competition

May 17, 2026

Nashville HBCU Fisk University Launches $900M Campus Transformation

May 15, 2026
Education

Hungary and Ukraine to hold talks on ethnic Hungarian minority rights

By IQ TIMES MEDIAMay 18, 20260

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Hungary and Ukraine will begin high-level consultations on the rights of…

Trial to start for ex-assistant principal accused of ignoring warnings that student had gun

May 18, 2026

Michigan student will be 1st woman to represent US in world welding competition

May 17, 2026

Nashville HBCU Fisk University Launches $900M Campus Transformation

May 15, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.