Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

SpaceX IPO: What S-1 Filing Revealed, Musk Empire’s Market Impact

May 22, 2026

Microsoft’s Yusuf Mehdi Plans Departure After Role Transition

May 21, 2026

Spotify and Universal Music strike deal allowing fan-made AI covers and remixes

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » UNC’s ‘Carolina North’ campus expansion is going forward
Education

UNC’s ‘Carolina North’ campus expansion is going forward

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIAJanuary 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


North Carolina is going forward with long-discussed plans to develop an off-campus expansion for academic, research, residential and mixed-use retail projects. It’s too soon to say whether that will also include a new arena for the university’s tradition-rich men’s basketball program.

Chancellor Lee Roberts discussed the Carolina North project during Wednesday morning’s meeting of UNC’s Board of Trustees. The focus is a roughly 230-acre footprint about 2 miles north of campus in Chapel Hill.

Roberts pointed to needs for expansion amid increasing demand for STEM (science, technology, engineering or mathematics) degrees and affordable housing options as well as a state population projection that North Carolina will grow to seventh nationally by the early 2030s. Roberts has previously stated a target of increasing enrollment by 5,000 students over the next decade.

“Carolina North represents both an opportunity and, I would argue, an obligation,” Roberts said in an interview with The Associated Press. “Most universities would give anything to have that kind of developable land this close to campus and with so much infrastructure ready in place. … We just feel really fortunate that we have this opportunity. But shame on us if we don’t use it to serve the people of the state.”

A trustee committee approved $8 million for advance planning work on Carolina North on Wednesday. The school plans to break ground in 2027 at the site of the former Horace Williams Airport, coming nearly two decades after the 2008 financial crisis derailed previous Carolina North development plans.

This time, though, it comes amid a separate multiyear discussion about the future of the Smith Center, which marked 40 years this week as home to the Tar Heels men’s basketball program at the southern end of campus. The school has been reviewing options from renovating the building named for late Hall of Fame coach Dean Smith to building an arena with state-of-the-art amenities, possibly off-campus.

That latter option has proven divisive, with retired Hall of Fame coach Roy Williams and former program great Tyler Hansbrough recording video messages backing renovation efforts at the Smith Center.

In his video, Williams recalled his time as an assistant to Smith and his mentor wanting the basketball arena to remain on campus.

“That was his wish, there’s no question,” Williams said, adding later: “And I hope that’s where we stay forever.”

Roberts told the AP that “there’s no perfect option” for the arena question.

“We think Carolina North could be a good option,” Roberts said. “What’s not an option is the status quo. So we’re going to have to invest significant capital in the basketball arena no matter what.”

As an example, Roberts said a “Band-Aid approach” to Smith Center renovations would include $80 million to $100 million to replace the roof, improve restrooms and concessions areas, and ensure compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act. And that comes at a time with athletic departments facing pressure to generate money in the revenue-sharing era with schools cleared to pay athletes directly.

Roberts said UNC will soon announce advisory groups seeking feedback on the arena question, noting: “Obviously a tremendous amount of passion around Carolina Basketball. That’s a good thing.”

“We’re going to talk to as many people as we can, get as much input as we can, and make the best decision we possibly can for the future of Carolina Basketball,” he said. “But we’re going to build up Carolina North regardless.”

___

Get poll alerts and updates on the AP Top 25 throughout the season. Sign up here. AP college basketball: https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll and https://apnews.com/hub/college-basketball



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

Charges dismissed against former assistant principal accused after teacher shot

May 21, 2026

Harvard moves to curb grade inflation by limiting A grades

May 20, 2026

Trump failed to stop Indigenous exhibit at Berkeley

May 20, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Charges dismissed against former assistant principal accused after teacher shot

May 21, 2026

Harvard moves to curb grade inflation by limiting A grades

May 20, 2026

Trump failed to stop Indigenous exhibit at Berkeley

May 20, 2026

Lawsuit accuses Massachusetts schools of segregating students by race

May 20, 2026
Education

Charges dismissed against former assistant principal accused after teacher shot

By IQ TIMES MEDIAMay 21, 20260

A judge on Thursday dismissed all charges against a former school administrator accused of ignoring…

Harvard moves to curb grade inflation by limiting A grades

May 20, 2026

Trump failed to stop Indigenous exhibit at Berkeley

May 20, 2026

Lawsuit accuses Massachusetts schools of segregating students by race

May 20, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.