Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

South Korea’s LetinAR is building optics behind AI glasses

May 18, 2026

How Termina Selected and Ranked the 2026 Seed 100, Seed 40 Lists

May 18, 2026

OpenAI and Anthropic Are Kicking Off a Cybersecurity Frenzy

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » Fulbright scholarship board resigns and accuses Trump of meddling
Education

Fulbright scholarship board resigns and accuses Trump of meddling

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIAJune 11, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


All 12 members of the board overseeing the prestigious Fulbright scholarships on Wednesday resigned in protest of what they call the Trump administration’s meddling with the selection of award recipients, according to a statement.

A statement published online by the board members said the administration usurped the board’s authority by denying awards to “a substantial number of people” who already had been chosen. Another 1,200 award recipients who were already approved to come to the U.S. are undergoing an unauthorized review process that could lead to their rejection, the board members said.

“To continue to serve after the Administration has consistently ignored the Board’s request that they follow the law would risk legitimizing actions we believe are unlawful and damage the integrity of this storied program and America’s credibility abroad,” the statement reads.

Congress established the Fulbright program nearly 80 years ago to promote international exchange and American diplomacy. The highly selective program awards about 9,000 scholarships annually in the U.S. and in more than 160 other countries to students, scholars, and professionals in a range of fields.

A message seeking comment was left with the State Department, which runs the scholarship program.

The resignations were first reported by The New York Times.

The intervention from the Trump administration undermined the program’s merit-based selection process and its insulation from political influence, the board members wrote.

“We believe these actions not only contradict the statute but are antithetical to the Fulbright mission and the values, including free speech and academic freedom, that Congress specified in the statute,” the statement said. “It is our sincere hope that Congress, the courts, and future Fulbright Boards will prevent the administration’s efforts to degrade, dismantle, or even eliminate one of our nation’s most respected and valuable programs.”

Award recipients are selected in a yearlong process by nonpartisan staff at the State Department. The recipients who had their awards canceled are in fields including biology, engineering, medical sciences, and history, the board members said.

The announcement comes as the Trump administration ratchets up scrutiny of international students on several fronts. The administration has expanded the grounds for revoking foreign students’ legal status, and recently paused scheduling of new interviews for student visas as it increases vetting of their social media activity. The government also has moved to block foreign students from attending Harvard as it pressures the Ivy League school to adopt a series of reforms.

___

The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

Hungary and Ukraine to hold talks on ethnic Hungarian minority rights

May 18, 2026

Trial to start for ex-assistant principal accused of ignoring warnings that student had gun

May 18, 2026

Michigan student will be 1st woman to represent US in world welding competition

May 17, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Hungary and Ukraine to hold talks on ethnic Hungarian minority rights

May 18, 2026

Trial to start for ex-assistant principal accused of ignoring warnings that student had gun

May 18, 2026

Michigan student will be 1st woman to represent US in world welding competition

May 17, 2026

Nashville HBCU Fisk University Launches $900M Campus Transformation

May 15, 2026
Education

Hungary and Ukraine to hold talks on ethnic Hungarian minority rights

By IQ TIMES MEDIAMay 18, 20260

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Hungary and Ukraine will begin high-level consultations on the rights of…

Trial to start for ex-assistant principal accused of ignoring warnings that student had gun

May 18, 2026

Michigan student will be 1st woman to represent US in world welding competition

May 17, 2026

Nashville HBCU Fisk University Launches $900M Campus Transformation

May 15, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.