Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

SpaceX Bought $131 Million Worth of Tesla Cybertrucks

May 21, 2026

Elon Musk’s Hard Sell to Advertisers Failed to Move the Needle for X

May 21, 2026

Spotify adds AI-powered Q&A and briefing generation features to podcasts

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » Federal officials to vet social media accounts of visa applicants heading to Harvard
Education

Federal officials to vet social media accounts of visa applicants heading to Harvard

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIAMay 30, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Federal officials are set to start reviewing the social media accounts of visa applicants who plan to attend, work at or visit Harvard University for any signs of antisemitism, marking the latest development in a clash between the Trump administration and the Ivy League school.

A cable sent Friday signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio and obtained by The Associated Press accused the university of failing to keep violence and antisemitism off campus. It said the vetting measure will help consular officers identify applicants with a history of those offenses “and to duly consider their visa eligibility under U.S. immigration law.”

The measure was sent to all U.S. embassies and consulates, and it takes effect immediately. It will serve as a pilot program that could be expanded more broadly, according to the cable.

Harvard did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment.

The university was the first to openly defy White House demands for changes at elite schools the administration has criticized as hotbeds of liberalism and antisemitism.

Since then, the federal government has stripped the nation’s oldest and wealthiest university of $2.6 billion in federal grants, forcing it to self-fund much of its research operation. President Donald Trump has said he wants to revoke the university of its tax-exempt status.

Last week, Harvard sued the federal government after Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem revoked its ability to host foreign students at its campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts. A federal judge has since blocked the move.

More than a quarter of Harvard’s student body at its Cambridge campus are foreign students. Most are graduate students, coming from more than 100 countries.

Earlier this week, the State Department paused the scheduling of new visa interviews for foreign students looking to study in the U.S., saying it was preparing to expand the screening of their activity on social media. It’s unclear whether that pause has been lifted.

The new measure expands on Trump’s previous administration introducing reviews of visa applicants’ social media accounts. It remained in place during former President Joe Biden’s administration.

The measure instructs officials to note whether a visa applicant does not have an online presence or has their social media accounts set to private and whether that “may be reflective of evasiveness and call into question the applicant’s credibility.”

“If you are not satisfied that the applicant credibility, and to your personal satisfaction, meets the standards required by the visa classification for which he is applying, refuse the applicant,” the cable said.

Officials have also been instructed to go beyond just reviewing social media accounts and to conduct a broader investigation of the person’s online presence, according to the cable.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

Charges dismissed against former assistant principal accused after teacher shot

May 21, 2026

Harvard moves to curb grade inflation by limiting A grades

May 20, 2026

Trump failed to stop Indigenous exhibit at Berkeley

May 20, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Charges dismissed against former assistant principal accused after teacher shot

May 21, 2026

Harvard moves to curb grade inflation by limiting A grades

May 20, 2026

Trump failed to stop Indigenous exhibit at Berkeley

May 20, 2026

Lawsuit accuses Massachusetts schools of segregating students by race

May 20, 2026
Education

Charges dismissed against former assistant principal accused after teacher shot

By IQ TIMES MEDIAMay 21, 20260

A judge on Thursday dismissed all charges against a former school administrator accused of ignoring…

Harvard moves to curb grade inflation by limiting A grades

May 20, 2026

Trump failed to stop Indigenous exhibit at Berkeley

May 20, 2026

Lawsuit accuses Massachusetts schools of segregating students by race

May 20, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.