Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

OpenClaw Creator Slams Europe’s Regulations As He Moves to the US

February 18, 2026

Musk and OpenAI Posture Over Pizza As Talent War Heats up

February 17, 2026

FDA investigating Salmonella outbreak connected to moringa powder

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » Surgeons remove dozens of magnets from teen’s stomach
Health

Surgeons remove dozens of magnets from teen’s stomach

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIAOctober 24, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


A 13-year-old boy was hospitalized after eating dozens of high-powered magnets, according to a recently published case report in the New Zealand Medical Journal. The boy lost part of his bowel as a result, doctors wrote.

The boy, who was not identified in the case report, ate between 80 and 100 magnets. The “high-power” magnets were 5×2 millimeters each, the report said.

After eating the magnets, the teen had general abdominal pain for four days. When he arrived at the hospital, he told doctors he had eaten the magnets about a week earlier. The hospital he was treated at was not identified in the report.

The case report did not say if the boy explained why or how he ate the magnets.

An X-ray shows lines of magnets in the boy's abdomen.  / Credit: New Zealand Medical Journal

An X-ray shows lines of magnets in the boy’s abdomen. / Credit: New Zealand Medical Journal

Eating multiple magnets can be incredibly dangerous because they can clamp together inside the body and cause organ damage or other complications. Patients who eat multiple magnets often need surgical intervention, according to the report. High-powered magnets, which are often sold as desktop toys for adults, are particularly risky. They can be five to 10 times stronger than traditional refrigerator magnets, CBS News reported in 2019.

Scans showed that the magnets had linked into four chains inside the teen’s bowel and at the start of his large intestine. The amount of magnets in his body disrupted some imaging, the report said, so doctors proceeded with an exploratory surgery.

During the operation, surgeons found the magnet chains were causing pressure necrosis in the bowel and large intestine. Pressure necrosis occurs when tissue dies because there is too much pressure on it for an extended period of time. The surgeons were able to successfully remove the magnets, and the boy recovered from the operation. He was discharged after eight days in the hospital, the report said.

The sale of these high-powered magnets has been permanently banned in New Zealand, but the prohibition is difficult to enforce because the magnets can be easily and cheaply purchased online, the report noted. The boy told doctors he purchased the magnets on the online site Temu.

Temu told CBS News that they were “sorry to learn about the reported incident and wish the boy a full and speedy recovery,” but said they could not confirm if the magnets had been purchased on their site or identify a specific product listing.

The magnets removed from the boy's abdomen. / Credit: New Zealand Medical Journal

The magnets removed from the boy’s abdomen. / Credit: New Zealand Medical Journal

An internal review has been launched and teams are reviewing product listings to ensure compliance with local regulations, a spokesperson for the retailer said. Any products “found to be non-compliant will be removed,” and action will also be taken against sellers found to have breached platform rules and regulations, Temu said.

“We take product safety very seriously and continuously monitor our platform to ensure sellers are complying with the safety regulations of the markets they are doing business in,” the spokesperson said.

Online retailers, including Amazon and AliExpress, list high-powered magnets as available to ship to New Zealand.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has worked to limit the sale of high-powered magnets in the United States. In 2014, the agency issued a ban on high-powered magnet sets, but it was overturned in court two years later. In September 2022, the agency established a mandatory safety standard for magnets. The rule sets a power limit for any product with loose or separable magnets, including those intended for purposes including entertainment and stress relief.

The CPSC also calls the magnets a safety risk and has issued numerous recalls for products that contain them.

Carney reacts to Trump’s anger over tariffs ad featuring Reagan

Dozens charged in connection with illegal betting cases, FBI and DOJ announces

White House takes questions about Trump’s East Wing demolition for ballroom



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

FDA investigating Salmonella outbreak connected to moringa powder

February 17, 2026

Measles cases in South Carolina rise by 12 to 962, state health department says

February 17, 2026

A timeline of Rev. Jesse Jackson’s health issues, illnesses before his death

February 17, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Shooting at South Carolina dorm leaves 2 dead, suspect charged with murder

February 17, 2026

Hawaii Bill Would Turn Kids Into Published Authors At Kalihi Schools

February 17, 2026

Gov. Newsom expanded free preschool. Now private daycares say they can’t afford to stay open

February 17, 2026

Michigan wants schools ready for cardiac emergencies, fails to provide funds

February 17, 2026
Education

Shooting at South Carolina dorm leaves 2 dead, suspect charged with murder

By IQ TIMES MEDIAFebruary 17, 20260

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A man has been charged with murder after taking part in…

Hawaii Bill Would Turn Kids Into Published Authors At Kalihi Schools

February 17, 2026

Gov. Newsom expanded free preschool. Now private daycares say they can’t afford to stay open

February 17, 2026

Michigan wants schools ready for cardiac emergencies, fails to provide funds

February 17, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.