Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Millions of US Medicare Advantage enrollees forced to switch plans, study finds

February 18, 2026

X Product Head Details What Working for Musk Is Like

February 18, 2026

Google adds music-generation capabilities to the Gemini app

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » Nikola Jokic delays signing extension with Nuggets
Sports

Nikola Jokic delays signing extension with Nuggets

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIAJuly 9, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


DENVER (AP) — Three-time NBA MVP Nikola Jokic has decided to delay a contract extension with the Denver Nuggets this summer, a person with knowledge of the matter told The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because neither Jokic nor the Nuggets have addressed the matter publicly. It doesn’t affect Jokic’s status in Denver in the short term: He has at least two years remaining on his deal — $55.2 million this season and $59 million in 2026-27, along with a player option in 2027-28 worth nearly $63 million.

Jokic became eligible Tuesday to sign an extension that could have added three years and around $212 million to his contract. By waiting until next summer to sign, Jokic would be eligible to add four years to his deal at even more money than this summer’s extension would have guaranteed.

The Denver Post first reported the decision from Jokic.

Josh Kroenke, the vice chairman of Kroenke Sports and Entertainment, explained earlier this offseason the team was going to present both options to Jokic — and respect his decision.

“I’m not sure if he’s going to accept it or not, because we’re also going to explain every financial parameter around him signing now versus signing later,” Kroenke said.

The 30-year-old from Serbia is coming off a historic season in which he became the first NBA center to average a triple-double — 29.6 points, 12.7 rebounds, 10.2 assists — and finished runner-up to Oklahoma City’s Shai Gilgeous-Alexander in the MVP voting. The only other players who averaged a triple-double are Russell Westbrook and Oscar Robertson.

It was a trying season for Jokic and the Nuggets in which coach Michael Malone and general manager Calvin Booth were fired with three games remaining in the regular season.

Jokic and the Nuggets went 3-0 to close out the season, beat the Los Angeles Clippers in seven games during the first round of the playoffs and took the eventual NBA champion Thunder to seven games in Western Conference semifinals before being eliminated. Jokic averaged 26.2 points and 12.7 rebounds in the postseason run.

Once again, Jokic was his usual contribute-in-any-way facilitator. He finished with a franchise-record 34 triple-doubles in the regular season, including a 61-point triple-double.

In addition, he became the fastest player in NBA history (739 games) to notch 16,000 points, 8,000 rebounds and 5,000 assists. The previous mark was held by Hall of Famer Larry Bird, who reached those numbers in 799 games.

A second-round pick by Denver in 2014, Jokic has blossomed into a five-time All-NBA first-team player. He led the Nuggets to their first title in 2023 and earned the Finals MVP award.

This season, he will have a new coach in David Adelman, who was hired on an interim basis when the Nuggets fired Malone and was promoted to the permanent job. There’s a new front-office structure, too, led by executive vice presidents Ben Tenzer and Jonathan Wallace. They’ve vowed to be aggressive in building another title contender around Jokic in his championship window.

The executive tandem made a splash by breaking up the core of Jokic, Aaron Gordon, Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr. by trading Porter and a first-round pick to Brooklyn for Cam Johnson. The team has also brought back Bruce Brown — an integral piece in their championship run — and added sharpshooting wing Tim Hardaway Jr.

ESPN reported earlier this month the Nuggets sent Dario Saric to the Sacramento Kings for Jonas Valanciunas, a center who can back up Jokic. The deal hasn’t been announced yet.

Jokic is spending his offseason back in Serbia, where recently he was seen cheering one of his prized racehorses to a victory.

___

AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/nba



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

Another No. 1 pick QB, another fired coach: Titans’ Brian Callahan out after six games

October 15, 2025

Yamamoto pitches 3-hitter as Dodgers beat Brewers 5-1 for 2-0 lead in NLCS

October 14, 2025

Max Muncy sets Dodgers record by hitting his 14th career postseason homer

October 14, 2025
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Shooting at South Carolina dorm leaves 2 dead, suspect charged with murder

February 17, 2026

Hawaii Bill Would Turn Kids Into Published Authors At Kalihi Schools

February 17, 2026

Gov. Newsom expanded free preschool. Now private daycares say they can’t afford to stay open

February 17, 2026

Michigan wants schools ready for cardiac emergencies, fails to provide funds

February 17, 2026
Education

Shooting at South Carolina dorm leaves 2 dead, suspect charged with murder

By IQ TIMES MEDIAFebruary 17, 20260

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A man has been charged with murder after taking part in…

Hawaii Bill Would Turn Kids Into Published Authors At Kalihi Schools

February 17, 2026

Gov. Newsom expanded free preschool. Now private daycares say they can’t afford to stay open

February 17, 2026

Michigan wants schools ready for cardiac emergencies, fails to provide funds

February 17, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.