Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Apple is reportedly cooking up a trio of AI wearables

February 17, 2026

The Irish Are Really Into AI, New Survey Data Shows

February 17, 2026

Measles cases in South Carolina rise by 12 to 962, state health department says

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » Johnson & Johnson faces huge claim in U.K. over alleged asbestos in talc
Health

Johnson & Johnson faces huge claim in U.K. over alleged asbestos in talc

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIAOctober 16, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


London — Thousands of people in the United Kingdom have filed a joint legal claim estimated to be worth more than £1 billion ($1.34 billion) against Johnson & Johnson, accusing the U.S. pharmaceutical giant of selling baby powder that it knew was contaminated with carcinogenic asbestos.

The claim involves more than 3,000 people who developed various forms of cancer and other diseases and is based on internal Johnson & Johnson memos and scientific reports.

The company has long fought thousands of similar cases in the United States, and despite winning some appeals, in June last year it agreed to pay $700 million in a nationwide settlement to resolve allegations that it misled customers about the safety of its talcum-based powder products in its marketing.

Just last week, a Los Angeles jury ordered the firm to pay $966 million to the family of a woman who died from a form of cancer after using J&J products.

The U.K. lawsuit, which covers the years 1965 to 2023, claims that Johnson & Johnson, “knew their talc products contained carcinogenic fibres, including asbestos, for more than fifty years and chose to keep it on the market in pursuit of profit.”

Despite the alleged knowledge of the carcinogens in its products, the firm only took its talcum powder products off shelves in Britain in 2023, the suit alleges, when it switched to a cornstarch based product — three years after doing so in Canada and the U.S.

“For decades Johnson & Johnson have orchestrated a campaign of denials and subterfuge,” said the claimants’ lead lawyer, Tom Longstaff of KP Law, which has brought the case against J&J and Kenvue Ltd., which was spun off two years ago, before the U.K. High Court. “The facts are clear, contaminated talc contains carcinogenic material and Johnson & Johnson knew the risk to consumers.”

“The scale of Johnson & Johnson’s corporate wrongdoing is extraordinary, and we will be relentless in holding them to account on behalf of all those who have suffered due to their actions,” Longstaff said.

In a statement sent to CBS News on Thursday, Johnson & Johnson said inquiries about the claim “would be best addressed by Kenvue, our former consumer health business, which separated from Johnson & Johnson in August 2023. As a part of that separation, Kenvue retained the responsibility and any purported liability for talc related litigation outside of the United States and Canada.”

Kenvue told the BBC in a statement that it sympathized “deeply with people living with cancer. We understand that they and their families want answers — that’s why the facts are so important,” adding that the safety of its baby powder was backed by testing by “independent and leading laboratories, universities, and health authorities in the U.K. and around the world” over years.

The company told BBC that the J&J baby powder “was compliant with any required regulatory standards, did not contain asbestos, and does not cause cancer.”

Talc is a naturally occurring mineral that is often found together with asbestos during the mining process, which makes eliminating all traces of asbestos from talcum powder difficult.

The claim alleges people who regularly used Johnson & Johnson talcum powders have developed, and in many cases died from, ovarian cancer, mesothelioma — another form of cancer — uterine fibroids and other diseases.

“My mother used it and I used it,” 63-year old Siobhan Ryan told CBS News’ news partner network BBC News. “It smelled nice and was soft and lovely. When my babies were born I used it on them. I thought I was doing my best for them … It was such a shock. We just hugged and cried. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing when the doctor told me I had stage-four ovarian cancer.”

Siobhan, who blames her cancer on Johnson & Johnson’s baby powder, has been through three rounds of chemotherapy, near-fatal sepsis, and major abdominal surgery. Doctors say her cancer is no longer operable.

“They knew it was contaminated and still they sold it to new mums and their babies,” she said.

According to the U.K. claim, Johnson & Johnson began in the 1960s to commission scientists to analyze its talc-based products. In 1969, an internal memo stated that until tremolite — one of six types of asbestos — was proven to have no adverse effects, its use should be minimized, and noted that talc could no longer be guaranteed to be safe for babies.

By the 1980s, it was widely accepted that all forms of asbestos were dangerous and could cause cancer, but Johnson & Johnson — and other firms — successfully lobbied the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to not regulate asbestos content in talc, according to the lawsuit.

In 2018, the FDA finally began testing talcum powder and other related products for asbestos. A year later, Johnson & Johnson voluntarily withdrew a batch of its powder after the FDA found asbestos fibers in a sample.

The U.K. claims will be decided by a judge, rather than a jury, at the U.K. High Court’s Manchester Circuit Commercial Court.

In a statement, Kenvue said it believes the judge will find that its talc-based powder did not cause cancer.

Editor’s note: This article has been updated to correct the attribution of the statement from Kenvue Ltd. to BBC News and to note that it is a separate company from J&J, not a subsidiary.

Sneak peek: My Uncle Joe’s Murder

What to expect from Trump’s news conference with FBI Director Kash Patel

Lawmakers sound off on Trump’s Argentina bailout as government shutdown continues



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

Measles cases in South Carolina rise by 12 to 962, state health department says

February 17, 2026

A timeline of Rev. Jesse Jackson’s health issues, illnesses before his death

February 17, 2026

New dietary guidelines prioritize ‘real food’ – but low-income pregnant women can’t easily obtain it

February 17, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Georgia high school students recount horror of classroom shooting in court testimony

February 17, 2026

Skrilla: 6-7 craze almost didn’t happen

February 16, 2026

How the Siege of Boston shaped the legacy of George Washington

February 16, 2026

Tre’ Johnson, the former NFL offensive lineman who became a high school history teacher, dies at 54

February 15, 2026
Education

Georgia high school students recount horror of classroom shooting in court testimony

By IQ TIMES MEDIAFebruary 17, 20260

ATLANTA (AP) — Georgia high school students on Tuesday testified in court about the horrors…

Skrilla: 6-7 craze almost didn’t happen

February 16, 2026

How the Siege of Boston shaped the legacy of George Washington

February 16, 2026

Tre’ Johnson, the former NFL offensive lineman who became a high school history teacher, dies at 54

February 15, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.