Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

New dietary guidelines prioritize ‘real food’ – but low-income pregnant women can’t easily obtain it

February 17, 2026

As AI jitters rattle IT stocks, Infosys partners with Anthropic to build ‘enterprise-grade’ AI agents

February 17, 2026

Consulting Firms Shift From AI Adoption to Measuring Its Actual Value

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » Ford Is Retreating on EVs and Entering the Data Center Battery Market
Tech

Ford Is Retreating on EVs and Entering the Data Center Battery Market

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIADecember 16, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


EVs aren’t really working out for Ford, so now it’s chasing the AI boom instead.

The Detroit auto giant said on Monday it would pull back from electric vehicles in a move that would cost the company $19.5 billion.

In addition to scrapping planned electric models and building more hybrids, Ford said it would repurpose its EV battery factory in Kentucky to build batteries to power data centers and energy infrastructure.

The Mustang maker added that it would invest $2 billion to scale the new energy storage business, which it said would “leverage currently underutilized electric vehicle battery capacity.” Ford plans to deploy at least 20 gigawatt-hours of energy storage systems by the end of 2027, which is roughly equivalent to the power used by 2,000 US homes for a year.

It comes as the race to build ever more powerful AI models fuels a data center boom across the US, putting pressure on the electricity grid.

Tom Carter headshot

Every time Tom publishes a story, you’ll get an alert straight to your inbox!

Stay connected to Tom and get more of their work as it publishes.

Federal estimates suggest data center power demand is expected to as much as triple over the next three years, as tech giants like Meta, Microsoft, and OpenAI pour tens of billions of dollars into AI infrastructure.

EVs, meanwhile, are heading in the other direction. Demand has cratered in recent months after buyers rushed to purchase electric vehicles before the end of the $7,500 federal tax credit in September, and automakers are rolling back investments and betting on hybrids as they gear up for an EV winter.

Ford said the factory at Glendale, Kentucky, which the US automaker built as part of a joint venture with Korean battery company SK On, will produce commercial batteries for the data center industry. Another battery plant in Michigan will produce smaller units for residential use, Ford added.

The Tesla battery play

Ford is following in the footsteps of rival Tesla, which operates a thriving energy storage business. Elon Musk’s automaker raked in over $10 billion last year from selling batteries to support the grid and power people’s homes.

Tesla’s Megapack commercial batteries have been used by Musk’s startup xAI at its massive “Colossus” supercomputer in Memphis, Tennessee. In May, the AI startup reportedly deployed 168 Megapacks to help stabilize the electricity supply at the site, which is one of the largest data centers in the world.

Ford’s bet on energy storage comes as the company overhauls its wider EV strategy.

The Blue Oval announced on Monday it would cancel plans to build some large electric vehicles, and turn its F-150 Lightning electric pickup into an “extended range” EV with an additional gas generator.

Ford CEO Jim Farley told Bloomberg on Monday that the move was the result of the EV market in the US shrinking and “the customer changing their decision.”

“The EV market in the US went from 12% of the industry to only five, and that really, in the end, was the big decider for us,” he said.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

Consulting Firms Shift From AI Adoption to Measuring Its Actual Value

February 17, 2026

Office Food Perks Are Getting Better — and They’re Here to Stay

February 17, 2026

Salesforce Cofounder Criticizes Benioff’ ICE Jokes.

February 17, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Skrilla: 6-7 craze almost didn’t happen

February 16, 2026

How the Siege of Boston shaped the legacy of George Washington

February 16, 2026

Tre’ Johnson, the former NFL offensive lineman who became a high school history teacher, dies at 54

February 15, 2026

Social media posts extend Epstein fallout to student photo firm Lifetouch

February 13, 2026
Education

Skrilla: 6-7 craze almost didn’t happen

By IQ TIMES MEDIAFebruary 16, 20260

Skrilla said the “6-7” craze connected to his drill rap hit almost didn’t happen.His 2024…

How the Siege of Boston shaped the legacy of George Washington

February 16, 2026

Tre’ Johnson, the former NFL offensive lineman who became a high school history teacher, dies at 54

February 15, 2026

Social media posts extend Epstein fallout to student photo firm Lifetouch

February 13, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.