Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

It’s Official: Google Is ‘Tokenmaxxing’

May 19, 2026

OpenAI co-founder Andrej Karpathy joins Anthropic’s pre-training team

May 19, 2026

Gen Z’s AI Backlash Is Getting Louder

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » Los Angeles school board to discuss superintendent after FBI search
Education

Los Angeles school board to discuss superintendent after FBI search

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIAFebruary 26, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


LOS ANGELES (AP) — The governing board of the Los Angeles Unified School District will meet in a closed session on Thursday to discuss the superintendent, a day after the FBI served search warrants at his home and the district’s headquarters.

The calendar for the Board of Education notes a special afternoon meeting to discuss Superintendent Alberto Carvalho, but there were no additional details. The district said in a statement Wednesday that it “is cooperating with the investigation and we do not have further information at this time.”

Federal authorities have not provided details of the nature of the investigation involving the nation’s second-largest school district. The FBI also searched a third location near Miami, where Carvalho previously led the public schools. The Miami Herald reported the Florida home belonged to Debra Kerr, who previously worked with AllHere, an education technology company that had a contract with Los Angeles schools before it collapsed and its leader was indicted for fraud.

In 2024, Carvalho heavily touted a deal with AllHere for an AI chatbot named “Ed” designed to help students, calling it “a game changer.” But about three months after unveiling the technology and paying the company $3 million, the district dropped its dealings with AllHere, which collapsed into bankruptcy. Months later, founder Joanna Smith-Griffin was charged with securities and wire fraud, along with identity theft.

The exterior of LAUSD headquarters is shown Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2026, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

Carvalho denied personal involvement in the selection of AllHere, according to the Los Angeles Times. After Smith-Griffin was indicted, Carvalho said he would appoint a task force to examine what went wrong with the LAUSD project, but there have been no public announcements about it since.

Over the past five years in Los Angeles, Carvalho has been lauded for the district’s improvements to academic performance. He won similar praise while overseeing Miami-Dade County Public Schools, Florida’s largest school district, where the national superintendents association named him Superintendent of the Year in 2014.

Spain knighted the Portugal-born administrator in 2021 for his work in expanding Spanish-language programs for Miami-Dade County schools.

Months later, Carvalho took the job in California and became a harsh critic of the Trump administration’s aggressive immigration crackdown, especially following raids in Los Angeles last year.

Carvalho arrived in Los Angeles at a critical moment, as the district found itself flush with funding from state and federal COVID-19 relief money but still struggling with the impacts of the pandemic, including learning losses and declining enrollment. He previously sparred with Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis over his order that schools not require masks during the pandemic.

The Miami-Dade school system said in a statement that it was aware of the investigation involving Carvalho but did not have any comment at this time.

The FBI’s Miami office confirmed agents searched a residence in Southwest Ranches, which is in Broward County west of Fort Lauderdale, on Wednesday morning.

___

Associated Press writer Julie Watson in San Diego contributed.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

AI pep talks at college commencements prompt boos from graduates

May 19, 2026

Equality icon Billie Jean King earns college degree 65 years after first class

May 18, 2026

Hungary and Ukraine to hold talks on ethnic Hungarian minority rights

May 18, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

AI pep talks at college commencements prompt boos from graduates

May 19, 2026

Equality icon Billie Jean King earns college degree 65 years after first class

May 18, 2026

Hungary and Ukraine to hold talks on ethnic Hungarian minority rights

May 18, 2026

Trial to start for ex-assistant principal accused of ignoring warnings that student had gun

May 18, 2026
Education

AI pep talks at college commencements prompt boos from graduates

By IQ TIMES MEDIAMay 19, 20260

As artificial intelligence casts a shadow over career prospects, it is becoming an unwelcome subject…

Equality icon Billie Jean King earns college degree 65 years after first class

May 18, 2026

Hungary and Ukraine to hold talks on ethnic Hungarian minority rights

May 18, 2026

Trial to start for ex-assistant principal accused of ignoring warnings that student had gun

May 18, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.