Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

OpenClaw Creator Peter Steinberger Gets Feedback From Mark Zuckerberg

February 16, 2026

Bride surprises wedding guests with stem cell donor who saved her life

February 16, 2026

Sundar Pichai’s Career Rise to Google and Alphabet CEO

February 16, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » US Bars Former EU Official’s Visa Over Big Tech Regulations
Tech

US Bars Former EU Official’s Visa Over Big Tech Regulations

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIADecember 24, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


The US just escalated its clash with Europe over tech regulation.

The State Department said it has barred five Europeans, including the EU’s former Internal Market Commissioner Thierry Breton and four members of digital campaign groups, from entering the country over what it called “censorship” of tech platforms.

The visa bans were met with backlash from European leaders on X, who accused Washington of intimidation and political overreach.

The dispute centers on the EU’s Digital Services Act and Digital Markets Act, which imposes obligations on major tech platforms — many of which are based in the US — to police content and curb anti-competitive behavior. Companies in breach of it can be fined up to 6% of their global annual revenue.

In a post on X late Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the State Department would block leading figures of what he called “the global censorship-industrial complex” from entering the US.

“For far too long, ideologues in Europe have led organized efforts to coerce American platforms to punish American viewpoints they oppose,” Rubio wrote. “The Trump Administration will no longer tolerate these egregious acts of extraterritorial censorship.”

For far too long, ideologues in Europe have led organized efforts to coerce American platforms to punish American viewpoints they oppose. The Trump Administration will no longer tolerate these egregious acts of extraterritorial censorship.

Today, @StateDept will take steps to…

— Secretary Marco Rubio (@SecRubio) December 23, 2025

In follow-up posts on Tuesday, Sarah B. Rogers, the undersecretary of state for public diplomacy, named Breton among the five European individuals sanctioned, accusing him of using the EU’s Digital Services Act to pressure Elon Musk and X during his tenure as commissioner for the internal market.

She also named Imran Ahmed of the Center for Countering Digital Hate, Clare Melford of the Global Disinformation Index, and HateAid leaders Anna-Lena von Hodenberg and Josephine Ballon, accusing them of pressuring US platforms over online speech. None of the four campaigners immediately responded to a Business Insider request for comment.

Rubio added that the US was “ready and willing to expand this list” unless officials reversed course, framing the move as a defense of free expression and US sovereignty.

European backlash

The back-and-forth has largely played out on X, a platform that was hit with a $140 million fine earlier this month for breaching the Digital Services Act.

Breton responded in Tuesday X post by invoking McCarthy-era politics, asking, “Is McCarthy’s witch hunt back?”

He added, “To our American friends: ‘Censorship isn’t where you think it is.'”

French President Emmanuel Macron also condemned the visa restrictions, describing them in a Wednesday X post as coercive measures aimed at undermining Europe’s digital sovereignty.

“The rules governing the European Union’s digital space are not meant to be determined outside Europe,” he said.

The European Commission “strongly” condemned the US decision, adding that the EU has the sovereign right to regulate its digital market and would seek clarification from US authorities.

Is McCarthy’s witch hunt back? 🧹

As a reminder: 90% of the European Parliament — our democratically elected body — and all 27 Member States unanimously voted the DSA 🇪🇺

To our American friends: “Censorship isn’t where you think it is.”

— Thierry Breton (@ThierryBreton) December 23, 2025

“Freedom of speech is the foundation of our strong and vibrant European democracy,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen wrote on X on Wednesday. “We are proud of it. We will protect it.”

Gérard Araud, France’s former ambassador to the US, said the dispute reflects a deeper rupture, writing on X that “the West” no longer exists and that Europe is now alone in defending its interests and values.

Daniel Fried, a former US ambassador to Poland and longtime US sanctions official, told Business Insider he could not recall a precedent for Washington imposing visa bans on a former European official in retaliation for policy decisions made in the course of their duties.

Similarly, Jacob Funk Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Brussels-based think tank Bruegel, told Business Insider that he could not recall any historical precedent for the move, describing the visa bans as largely symbolic and unlikely to trigger meaningful retaliation.

Musk in the middle

The dispute has been years in the making — and Musk X has often been at the center of it.

Breton repeatedly clashed with Musk after he bought Twitter in 2022 and pledged to loosen moderation in the name of free speech.

As the then-internal market commissioner, Breton warned that X could face fines or even be barred from the European Union if it failed to comply with EU law, later overseeing a formal investigation into the platform regarding disinformation and content moderation.

Those confrontations turned X into a symbol of the broader transatlantic fight over who sets the rules for online speech — a conflict that has now spilled from regulation into geopolitics.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

OpenClaw Creator Peter Steinberger Gets Feedback From Mark Zuckerberg

February 16, 2026

Sundar Pichai’s Career Rise to Google and Alphabet CEO

February 16, 2026

Microsoft Manager Explains How She Pivoted From Admin to an AI Role

February 16, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Skrilla: 6-7 craze almost didn’t happen

February 16, 2026

How the Siege of Boston shaped the legacy of George Washington

February 16, 2026

Tre’ Johnson, the former NFL offensive lineman who became a high school history teacher, dies at 54

February 15, 2026

Social media posts extend Epstein fallout to student photo firm Lifetouch

February 13, 2026
Education

Skrilla: 6-7 craze almost didn’t happen

By IQ TIMES MEDIAFebruary 16, 20260

Skrilla said the “6-7” craze connected to his drill rap hit almost didn’t happen.His 2024…

How the Siege of Boston shaped the legacy of George Washington

February 16, 2026

Tre’ Johnson, the former NFL offensive lineman who became a high school history teacher, dies at 54

February 15, 2026

Social media posts extend Epstein fallout to student photo firm Lifetouch

February 13, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.