Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Google AI Boss: Memory Shortage Creating ‘Choke Point’

February 20, 2026

Toy Story 5 takes aim at creepy AI toys: ‘I’m always listening’

February 20, 2026

You can give old batteries a new life by safely recycling them

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
  • Home
  • AI
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Food Health
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Well Being
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter YouIQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Home » Nigeria’s leader vows to step up action to rescue 24 abducted schoolgirls
Education

Nigeria’s leader vows to step up action to rescue 24 abducted schoolgirls

IQ TIMES MEDIABy IQ TIMES MEDIANovember 19, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


SOKOTO, Nigeria (AP) — Nigeria’s leader promised authorities would intensify efforts to rescue 24 schoolgirls who were abducted by gunmen earlier this week from a school in the country’s northwestern region.

The girls were kidnapped from their dormitory before dawn on Monday, when gunmen attacked their boarding school, the Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, in the town of Maga in Nigeria’s Kebbi state.

Local police said that the gunmen scaled the fence to enter the dorm and exchanged gunfire with police officers guarding the school before seizing the girls and killing a staff member.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but analysts and locals say gangs often target schools, travelers and remote villagers in kidnappings for ransom. Authorities say the gunmen are mostly former herders who have taken up arms against farming communities after clashes between them over strained resources.

Hawau Usman, a 15-year-old student who was among those abducted, had managed to escape.

“They kept moving, and when they left, I ran back to the school,” Usman told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

“I knocked on the principal’s house, but no one answered,” she said, adding that she later found refuge at a teacher’s house.

President Bola Tinubu said in a statement released late Tuesday that he has “directed the security agencies to act swiftly and bring the girls back to Kebbi State.”

Tinubu, who is leaving Wednesday for South Africa where he will attend this weekend’s Group of 20 summit of the world’s leading rich and developing nations, expressed regret that the “heartless terrorists have disrupted the education of innocent schoolgirls.”

At least 1,500 students have been seized in the region since Boko Haram jihadi extremists seized 276 Chibok schoolgirls more than a decade ago. But bandits are also active in the region, and analysts say gangs often target schools to gain attention.

Analysts and residents blame the insecurity on a failure to prosecute known attackers, and the rampant corruption that limits weapons supplies to security forces while ensuring a steady supply to the gangs.

Usman Muhammad, whose daughter narrowly escaped the abduction, said his trust in authorities will only be restored if all the remaining girls are rescued. He urged not only for the abducted students to be freed but also for strengthening the security around the school to prevent future attacks.

“Until the authorities in charge secure the release of the girls still in captivity, we cannot feel at ease,” Muhammad, 50, told the AP on Tuesday.

Senator Iroegbu, an Abuja-based security analyst, told the AP on Wednesday that the abductors ultimately dictate the terms, but said that he was hopeful the girls would be rescued.

“Intelligence efforts should be prioritized to locate the abductors without endangering the girls. If contact is established, negotiation — likely involving ransom — may be necessary,” he said.

Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff Lt. Gen. Waidi Shaibu met with soldiers in the hours after the attack and directed “intelligence-driven operations and relentless day-and-night pursuit of the abductors,” according to an army statement.

“We must find these children. Act decisively and professionally on all intelligence,” he said. “Success is not optional.”

The army chief urged for a collaborative effort by all security outfits, including local vigilantes and hunters, in getting the girls rescued.

Umar Muhammad Rafi, 60, said the military and vigilante groups have been deployed to Maga and the surrounding forests but that the number of vigilantes, who “know the terrain better than the military” are not enough.

Dan Juma Umar, a civil society leader in Maga, said that it wasn’t the first time that gunmen attacked the area and that residents had alerted security operatives about “suspicious movements” three days before the attack on the school.

“We notified the security operatives of the planned attack. Had they acted on the information we provided, this tragedy could have been avoided,” he told the AP.

___

Dyepkazah Shibayan reported from Abuja.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
IQ TIMES MEDIA
  • Website

Related Posts

Kentucky Supreme Court rules charter school funding unconstitutional

February 19, 2026

Students in Savannah grieve teacher killed in crash with driver pursued by ICE

February 19, 2026

New Mexico enshrines universal child care program into law

February 19, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Kentucky Supreme Court rules charter school funding unconstitutional

February 19, 2026

Students in Savannah grieve teacher killed in crash with driver pursued by ICE

February 19, 2026

New Mexico enshrines universal child care program into law

February 19, 2026

Colleges cut ties with PhD Project after Trump administration pressure

February 19, 2026
Education

Kentucky Supreme Court rules charter school funding unconstitutional

By IQ TIMES MEDIAFebruary 19, 20260

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky Supreme Court ruled Thursday that a measure establishing public…

Students in Savannah grieve teacher killed in crash with driver pursued by ICE

February 19, 2026

New Mexico enshrines universal child care program into law

February 19, 2026

Colleges cut ties with PhD Project after Trump administration pressure

February 19, 2026
IQ Times Media – Smart News for a Smarter You
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact us
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 iqtimes. Designed by iqtimes.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.